One night a week I set some time aside to pamper myself, something every girl should do right? I light up the wood stove, a few candles, flip on my latest binge-worthy show on Netflix and have my weekly “Pinot and Polish” night. My favorite pooch, Moto, supervises and lends some moral support if I happen to smudge. A perk of doing your own Mani is that you can use all of those pennies you’re saving to treat yourself to those Gorgeous Boots you’ve had your eye on all month, because you’re worth it.
First thing’s first, the wine! I enjoy a nice red wine blend in the colder months. This evening’s choice is the delicious Apothic Red, which has hints of black cherry, vanilla and mocha (YUM??).
This week, I decided to go with a nail lacquer that would tie into the coming holiday, Valentine’s Day. Whether your valentine is someone special or just a furry friend, it’s fun to rock hot pink nails in the dead of Winter.
This week’s polish selections:
▪ Polish: China Glaze // Shocking Pink
▪ Glitter: Essie // Set in Stones
▪ Top Coat: Seche Vite
Steps to get the best DIY Manicure (in my opinion):
1. Clean Slate: Be sure that any existing polish has been completely removed!
2. Nail Filing: If my nails aren’t too overgrown, I just take a nail file to them and give them my best attempt at at squarish shape, but that is your preference!
3. Buffing: I buff my nails with a super fine sanding block (that I also get from my local Sally Beauty).
– Disclaimer: I do not do my own cuticles in fear of harming myself. I get a mani at a salon every once in a while just to clean them up.
4. On to the polish: I chose to do three (yes three!) coats of color. The polish I chose was quite thin, I put an extra coat on so it really POPPED!!
5. Accent Nails: I chose to add a little sparkle to my week with an accent nail on each hand. Some people do the same nail on each hand. I like to switch it up a bit and did my pointer finger on my left hand and my pinky finger on my right!
6. Finishing up: The most important step of them all, the Top Coat! Which is pretty self explanatory.
Wishing you all a very Happy Valentine’s Day!
Ally, the New England Animal Lover